Teams of students use kNex to learn the concepts of bridge design. They then use their knowledge to design and model their own solution to a set problem.
Curriculum Topics: Forces, Design & Technology
How the day works?
Teams of students use kNex to explore a range of engineering bridge designs: Arch, Cable Stayed, Cantilever, Suspension and Truss. They then build some examples from instructions before being set a problem to solve as a team.
Using their knowledge and teamwork skills students will be given the task of designing and modelling their own bridge to span a specified distance and support as much weight as possible.
K'Nex is a creative construction kit that enables students to design, build and test their models.
Students will also work on transferable skills:
- Working positively on new challenges;
- Generating ideas to improve something;
- Exploring problems by investigating the pros and cons of different solutions;
- Contributing to group decision making;
- Keep trying when something goes wrong and encourage others to keep trying too.
How much does it cost?
Each session is a minimum of 1.5 hours, we can be flexible in providing back-to-back sessions across the school day delivering to different class groups.
State & SEN discounted* to £250/ half day discount of 10% for same day £475/ full day
Independent Schools £600/ full day
* As part of SATRO's charitable purpose