SATRO is an educational charity working across the South Central England. We work in schools with young people between the ages of 7-18 of all abilities.
Our aim is to inspire and develop the aspirations of young people in our region.
Supporting them to develop their passions and explore pathways to a successful career
which will benefit our regional economy, wider society and all our futures.
Surrey SATRO was originally founded in 1983 as part of a wider regional network which was dissolved with the removal of government funding. The current charity was registered in 1994 and receives no such funding. We have over that time delivered to in excess of 500,000 young people.
- supported over 10,900 young people,
- delivered over 29,500 unique sessions,
- and engaged over 5,200 employee volunteer hours.
- 1985 Start of Primary Science programme
- 1987 First Problem Solving Challenge
- 1997 First Festival of Science & Engineering
- 1998 Take on management of the Surrey EBP (Education Business Partnership)
- 2000 Mentoring Programme launched
- 2006 Mobile Construction Classrooms started
- 2013 Launch of SATROclub
- 2016 Awarded Careers & Enterprise Company contract for mentoring in Surrey/Hampshire
- 2017 SATRO volunteers nominated for Queen's Award for Volunteering
- 2020 Developed virtual resources, activities, festivals and challenges due to COVID-19
- 2021 Launch of our first events for Home Educating students
- 2022 New look annual STEM festival - SATROfest
- 2023 Our Inaugural Construction festival