The success of our programmes depend on the support of our many enthusiastic volunteers. Could you become one of them?
SATRO's aim is to introduce young people in education to professionals of all types so they can be inspired and have an opportunity to learn about work, the workplace, job roles and career pathways. SATRO will allow some time at events for volunteers to participate in discussion with young people.
Such a meeting can change a young person's view or instil an aspiration for the future.
SATRO's activities and programmes run predominantly in Surrey and its border counties.
Volunteering for SATRO
Volunteering for SATRO offers the opportunity to develop new skills and put your own experience and knowledge into practice. By sharing your industry and work-related expertise with young people in education, you will open their minds to a world of possibilities and career paths.
The benefits of volunteering for SATRO are many but include:
- Helping young people put their STEM skills into practice and understand what careers they could lead onto
- Be a role model for young people - guiding them towards making their own decisions and choices
- Have a positive impact on your community
- Helps you make new friends, expand your network and boost your social skills
- Gain confidence and self-esteem in your abilities
- Enhance your career prospects
- Make a difference
- Take on a challenge
- And - have fun!
"SATRO does what it says on the tin "inspiring young people" so this sits nicely with my beliefs. SATRO is well organised and has a team, associates and volunteers that hold a common goal. Every event is enjoyable and I have made many friends. I must add that my employer, Willmott Dixon, supports social engagement and allows me to volunteer without any questions."
Gordon Bell, Willmott Dixon
How can you help?
You can give as much or as little time as you like. SATRO can offer the following volunteering opportunities:
- A day in a school, primary or secondary - typically from 8:30am until 3:00pm - assisting us with the delivery of an interactive, hands-on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths) activity
- Three hours after school - typically from 4:00pm until 7:00pm - asstisting us with the delivery of an interactive, hands-on competition
- One to one Mentoring which is over a full academic year meeting your mentee approximately once every fortnight
- Providing help in the SATRO office by packing materials for our activities
- Applying your education or industry knowledge to the development of programme content for us
Our activities and programmes take place predominantly in Surrey and its borders, in both mainstream and SEN primary and secondary schools, during term time.
How SATRO supports Volunteers
Volunteering is an important and responsible role. That's why SATRO will support you every step of the way.
We will always tell you what to expect prior to volunteering and provide training if necessary.
As part of our Volunteer programme, SATRO will carry out Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks and will provide you with Safeguarding information.
Once you have registered with us, additional materials to assist in your volunteering role with SATRO can be found on our resources page.
All registered volunteers receive a monthly e-newsletter to keep them up to date with developments, news and future volunteering opportunities.
Above all, we will help you enjoy your volunteering experience and ensure that it is a rewarding one.
Register as a Volunteer
Join our Volunteer programme today! Last year, our volunteers contributed 3,516 hours and 100% felt supported by SATRO and said that they would volunteer again!
If you would like to become a volunteer, please fill out the form below with your Name, Email and Subject, which should be 'VOLUNTEERING', and note if you would like to receive our monthly bulletin and/or additional information.