Our construction classrooms come weekly to your site to teach practical hands-on construction skills. We provide all the tools, equipment, materials and training across all abilities. Our tutors have experience in the industry and teaching. They have chosen to work with us to inspire the next generation in construction.
We provide a range of practical units: Joinery, Electrics, Plumbing and brickwork. A good basis is provided in Health and Safety across all units and we aim to introduce opportunities to learn from real-world experiences from our industry partners.
For Years 9 upwards
Who is it for?
"A wonderful opportunity to students to engage in a meaningful programme that develops them both socially and academically. The SATRO construction course offers students real currency and enables them to succeed practically, setting them up as desirable candidates to progress onto college courses and apprenticeships.
This is what vocational education should be! "
Assistant Head July 2021
Schools choose the Mobile Classroom for those that wish to study and follow a Construction qualification, for students who find mainstream education difficult and need a vocational subject to engage their learning, or to provide practical sessions to students who struggle in their learning.
We bring all that is necessary to teach a practical hands-on construction skills for two hours every week for up to 8-10 students subject to agreement. Schools can select from: joinery, carpentry, plumbing, bricklaying and electrics.
SATRO offer the following courses:
- BTEC Level 1 Introductory Construction - 1 year Award and 2 year Certificate
- Taster Courses (6 -12 weeks) to support student subject choices or as a practical activity
- SEN practical and vocational skills - 1 year SATRO Award
We currently work with over 30 schools and colleges including mainstream, SEN, alternative provision, pupil referral units and employability programmes. Each week we deliver over 100 hours of vocational teaching.
A full academic year costs £8,200 inclusive of all materials and an experienced tutor in the Construction industry. We are able to support schools seek additional funding to run the course and can provide a taster session.
This programme meets the GATSBY Benchmarks: linking to the curriculum (GB4); engagement with employers and employees (GB5) and experience of the workplace (GB6).
SATRO have been running the construction programme for over 15 years and annually have around 350 students studying with our seven tutors in schools across the South East.
In 2021 we awarded 135 BTEC level 1 qualifications and supported a further 20 in achieving their Level 2 qualifications through their schools. Teaching continued in-person through lockdown for vulnerable students and was provided remotely during school lockdowns. In addition we were able to support a further 50+ students as part of our SATRO Award scheme.
In 2019 case studies showed individual and group experiences:
- "We have had an excellent cohort this year, where all the students that have completed the course are signed up for course in aspects of construction at college next year. This includes everything from joinery to site management." Deputy Headteacher, Mainstream School
- "Alex has significant difficulties in his learning.... he has thoroughly enjoyed the SATRO course and has been so enthused by it that he is leaving us to attend Reading College to study a Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing." Headteacher SEN School
- " Their range of practical skills has improved and broadened, and they have been able to identify trades that they particularly enjoyed and were interested in..... This year's leavers include those that intend to go on to: manufacturing engineering, plumbing apprenticeship, carpentry and electrical courses at college." Head of Extended Learning, Mainstream School
To find out more visit our online construction resources that were developed during lockdown to support our students with their ongoing studies.
Visit our Online Construction Resources