A workshop exploring how fossils are formed and the information we can gain from them. Using group work and virtual reality to bring the wonderful world of fossils into the classroom.
Curriculum Topic: Evolution & Inheritance, Introduction to Careers
How the day works?
A workshop exploring how fossils are formed and how this informs our understanding of evolution and past environments.
The workshop will cover:
- The different types of fossils and how they are formed;
- The information we can gather from fossils;
- Practical activities and group work looking at evolution, the work of palaeontologists and changes through geological time;
- The use of virtual reality headsets to explore fossils.
The goals for the fossils workshop are for students to:
- develop key knowledge about fossils;
- explore the work of palaeontologists;
- work together to solve problems.
- describe in simple terms how fossils are formed when things that have lived are trapped within rock;
- recognise that living things have changed over time and that fossils provide information about living things that inhabited the Earth millions of years ago;
- learn about the range of jobs carried out by people they know, and to understand how they can develop skills to make their own contribution in the future.
How much does it cost?
Price for a half day £250 with a discount 10% discount on a second session the same day (£475). Please contact us to discuss specific requirements to cover different classes or year groups as delivery can be flexible to meet needs.
We may have funding available to support your ability to take part in this workshop particularly for schools with high levels of Pupil Premium. Please enquire when booking.