Primary and Secondary School Film Resources.
Our aim here at SATRO is to inspire and enthuse young people in their understanding of STEM subjects and careers. Our activities and events encourage students to challenge their perceptions and look at new innovative ways of thinking as they learn.
Our team have selected this material for you with those aims in mind. We hope it will continue to inspire your interest in STEM.
What we provide on this page links to existing websites and materials, recognising their ownership and responsibility for the content. We are not recommending any particular information source, rather we are trying to expand your horizons in looking for information that will be of interest to you.
Introduction to Film
Film, also called movie, motion picture or moving picture, is a visual art-form used to simulate experiences that communicate ideas, stories, perceptions, feelings or beauty, or atmosphere through the use of moving images. These images are generally accompanied by sound, and more rarely, other sensory simulations. The word 'cinema', short for cinematography, is often used to refer to filmmaking and the film industry, and to the art form that is the result of it.
Careers Information - Primary Schools
Resources - Primary Schools
Careers Information - Secondary Schools
- Film Director
- Director of Photography
- Film Producer
- Film Editor
- Lighting Technician
- Sound Technician
- Programme Researcher
- Hair and Make-up Artists
- Special Effects Technician and SFX Makeup Artist - Lea James, Case Study
- Freelance Sound Designer and Composer for Film and Visual Media - Harry Filby, Case Study
- Localisation Runner - Poppy Billett, Case Study
Resources - Secondary Schools
- Film Making Basics: Everything You Need To Know in 8 Minutes!
- Camera Angles Explained: The Different Types of Camera Shot Angles in Film
- What Great Movies Look Like Without Special Effects
- Think there are no jobs in film? Think again!
- Filmmaking at Home
- Tips For Shooting Underwater
- The Best Cameras for Film Students in 2020
- Green Screen Basics
- How To Break into the UK Film Industry
- Top 10 Actors Who Got Big Roles with No Experience
- What Was The First Movie Ever Made?