Forces & Magnets
A workshop exploring different forces, how they work, and their effects on objects. Also observing that magnetic forces can act at a distance, attract or repel some materials and not others.
Curriculum Topics: Forces & Magnets
Investigate the wonderful world of physics with this workshop looking at different forces, their effects and the rules which govern them. This workshop covers a variety of forces in a carousel of activities which allow students to investigate these forces through practical work, group investigations and technology such as VR headsets.
What will be covered:
- balanced and unbalanced forces,
- the definitions and examples of contact and non-contact forces,
- the effects of common forces (friction, air resistance, weight and magnetism) on different objects,
- scientific methods of investigating and measuring the effects of forces.
The goals of the workshop are:
- to explore the effects of different forces through a variety of activities,
- develop their skills in measuring and recording data,
- be able to describe and explain the effects of various forces.
- compare how things move on different surfaces,
- notice that some forces need contact between two objects, but magnetic forces can act at a distance,
- observe how magnets attract or repel each other and attract some materials and not others,
- compare and group together a variety of everyday materials on the basis of whether they are attracted to a magnet, and identify some magnetic materials.
- describe magnets as having two poles,
- predict whether two magnets will attract or repel each other, depending on which poles are facing,
- identify the effects of air resistance, water resistance and friction, that act between moving surfaces.
We offer a range of workshops that will support your Primary Science curriculum. Each topic is a short 45 to 90 minutes which can be fitted around your timetable within different year groups.
Each session is a minimum of 1.5 hours, we can be flexible in providing back-to-back sessions across the school day delivering to different class groups. This could allow 2-3 class groups to take part in a full day delivery.
Please contact us to discuss specific requirements to cover different classes or year groups as delivery can be flexible to meet needs.
State Primary & SEN discounted*
- £500/ full day
- £275/ half day
- Bookings on 2 consecutive days 10% discount
- 3 or more bookings made in same enquiry 20% discount
Independent Schools £600/ full day, £330 half day
* As part of SATRO's charitable purpose
We may have funding available to support your ability to take part in this workshop particularly for schools with high levels of Pupil Premium/SEN. Please enquire when booking.