Programming & Robotics
Curriculum Topics: Basic Coding, Light/Electricity, Sound, Forces and Working Scientifically.
How the day works?
Pupils will work in pairs, one class at a time, to design, engineer and program robots using LEGO bricks, a computer, a motor and other special elements.
During the day, pupils will:
- Design and construct
- Brainstorm to find creative alternative solutions
- Learn to communicate, share ideas and work together
- Learn how to program, use software and create a working model
- Work on simple machines, gears, levers, pulleys transmission of motion
- Measure time and distance, estimating, randomness and using variables
- Use feedback to adjust a programming system
Run by a SATRO Associate with experience in the STEM workplace and training/education, supported by industry volunteers where appropriate.
How much does it cost?
A full day at school which provides 3 classes in separate sessions. We also offer a discount for back-to-back bookings to cover larger or different year groups for example in MATS or school clusters.
State & SEN discounted* to £500/day
Independent Schools - £600/day
* As part of SATRO's charitable purpose
What are the benefits of this activity?
How students benefit:
- Understand what algorithms are; how they are implemented as programs on digital devices; and that programs execute by following precise and unambiguous instructions
- Create and debug simple programs
- Use logical reasoning to predict the behaviour of simple programs
- Design, write and debug programs that accomplish specific goals, including controlling or simulating physical systems; solve problems by decomposing them into smaller parts
- Use sequence, selection, and repetition in programs; work with variables and various forms of input and output.
How teachers benefit:
- Supports and engages students in the computing curriculum.
How schools benefit:
- Building teamwork and transferring learning to work skills for the future
- Offers an exciting, flexible workshop to support pupils' learning
- Levels of activities can be adapted to different abilities
- Helps enhance the school's reputation for offering innovative learning
- Starts work towards the key elements of the Gatsby careers benchmarks.