Students work in pairs/threes to solve different maths puzzles that challenge them to use mathematical reasoning, number facility, deductive reasoning, reading comprehension and critical thinking - all while having fun and working in a team.
This activity helps towards meeting the following GATSBY Benchmarks: (GB4) Linking Careers to the Curriculum and (GB5) Meaningful encounters with Employers and Employees.
How the day works?
The challenge is held over 1.5 hours and accommodates up to 60 students at a time. Students work at their own pace in groups of three self selecting from a range of mathematical tasks that are graded to cater for all abilities. SATRO bring age appropriate puzzles and set them up on tables in a hall. Students will then have the opportunity to complete as many puzzles as they are able. The sessions will be adapted to work within your timetable.
In Years 7-9 this workshop is often aimed at lower sets and SEN groups.
- Engages students in problem-solving
- Brings maths to life in a practical and applied manner, in a fun format
- Provides a team-building opportunity to work in pairs or small groups.
Curriculum Topics: Number, Measurement, Statistics and Geometry.
Fun Maths is run by a SATRO Associate with experience in the STEM workplace and training/education, supported by industry volunteers where appropriate.
How much does it cost?
A full day at school which provides 3 sessions for up to 60 students each time. We also offer a discount for back-to-back bookings to cover larger or different year groups.
State & SEN discounted* to £500/day
Independent Schools - £600/day
* As part of SATRO's charitable purpose
What are the benefits of this activity?
How Students Benefit:
- Brings functional Maths to life
- Makes Maths fun
- An opportunity to work in teams to solve problems
- Talk to employees about how they use Maths in their job.
How Teachers Benefit:
- SATRO provides a complete package, with materials, supported by a team of volunteers
- Helps enhance the national curriculum and reinforce learning objectives
- Application and transfer of key Maths skills to problem solving and creative tasks
How Schools Benefit:
- Transfers learning from lessons to activities
- Ice-breaker to mix up new year groups or different sets
- Helps enhance schools reputation for creative learning
- Meeting Gatsby Benchmarks for careers