Students work at their own pace in groups of three self selecting from a range of mathematical tasks that are graded to cater for all abilities.
This activity helps towards meeting the Gatsby Benchmark: (GB5) encounters with employers.
How the day works?
The challenge is held over 1.5 hours and accommodates up to 60 students at a time. Students work at their own pace in groups of three self selecting from a range of mathematical tasks that are graded to cater for all abilities. In Years 7-8 this workshop is often aimed at lower sets and SEN groups.
- Engages students in problem-solving
- Brings maths to life in a practical and applied manner, in a fun format
- Provides a team-building opportunity to work in pairs or small groups
Fun Maths is run by a SATRO Associate with experience in the STEM workplace and training/education, supported by industry volunteers where appropriate.
How much does it cost?
A full day at school which provides 3 sessions for up to 60 students each time. We also offer a discount for back-to-back bookings to cover larger or different year groups.
State & SEN discounted* to £500/day
Independent Schools £600/day
*As part of SATRO's charitable purpose
What are the benefits of this activity?
How Students Benefit:
- Brings functional Maths to life
- Makes Maths fun
- An opportunity to work in teams to solve problems
- Talk to employees about how they use Maths in their job.
How Teachers Benefit:
- SATRO provides a complete package, with materials, supported by a team of volunteers
- Helps enhance the national curriculum and reinforce learning objectives
- Application and transfer of key Maths skills to problem solving and creative tasks
How Schools Benefit:
- Transfers learning from lessons to activities
- Ice-breaker to mix up new year groups or different sets
- Helps enhance schools reputation for creative learning
- Meeting Gatsby Benchmarks for careers