Primary and Secondary School Technology Resources.
Our aim here at SATRO is to inspire and enthuse young people in their understanding of STEM subjects and careers. Our activities and events encourage students to challenge their perceptions and look at new innovative ways of thinking as they learn.
Our team have selected this material for you with those aims in mind. We hope it will continue to inspire your interest in STEM.
What we provide on this page links to existing websites and materials, recognising their ownership and responsibility for the content. We are not recommending any particular information source, rather we are trying to expand your horizons in looking for information that will be of interest to you.
Introduction to Technology
Technology is the skills, methods, and processes used to achieve goals. People can use Technology to:
- Produce goods or services
- Carry out goals, such as scientific investigation or sending a spaceship to the moon
- Solve problems, such as disease or famine
Technology can be knowledge of how to do things. Sometimes, people embed Technology in machines. This lets others use the machines without knowing how they work.
For more of an overview of Technology, click here.
Great Inventions and How They Changed The World
Ones you will have heard of:
- Thomas Edison (The Light Bulb) - click here for more information
- James Watt (Steam Engine) - click here for more information
- Guglielmo Marconi (Radio) - click here for more information
- Alexander Graham Bell (Telephone) - click here for more information
- The Wright Brothers (Powered flight) - click here for more information
- Henry Ford (Motor Car) - click here for more information
And those you may not have:
- Alan Turing (Modern Computing) - click here for more information
- Time Berners Lee (World Wide Web) - click here for more information
- Nikola Tesla (Modern Electrical Supply) - click here for more information
- Alessandro Volta (Battery) - click here for more information
- Karl von Drais (Bicycle) - click here for more information
- Leonardo da Vinci (Helicopter) - click here for more information
- Galileo Galilei (Astronomical telescope) - click here for more information
Careers Information - Primary Schools
Resources - Primary
Pulleys and Levers:
Careers Information - Secondary Schools
Resources - Secondary Schools
Links to SATRO Activities
Are you a student looking to develop your interest in STEM subjects and looking towards opportunities for the future - apprenticeships, training or jobs? Then SATROclub is for you!
SATROclub is a free e-newsletter which you will receive monthly with loads of useful information to help you develop your interest in STEM and explore ways into the world of work.
We work with hundreds of local companies and colleges in Surrey and adjoining counties to gather information on STEM opportunities like work experience, apprenticeships, training and jobs.